Luka Rocco Magnotta, the man infamously named the “Canadian Psycho” and the “Canadian Cannibal” by various international media outlets, will have his preliminary inquiry on Monday. 30-year-old low-budget porn actor and stripper Magnotta is charged with first-degree murder. Last year, several bodily remains of Chinese-born student Jun Lin began appearing all over the country. Magnotta videotaped himself stabbing and killing Lin. This prompted police authorizes to go looking for him in a highly publicized international manhunt. Magnotta was arrested in Germany.
His lawyers are seeking to have the public and the media banned from attending the preliminary inquiry for unspecified reasons, although one Montreal criminal attorney says Magnotta’s legal team will face an uphill battle, since several media outlets will contest the attempt. Unconnected to this case, Lawyer Steven Slimovitchn said Magnotta’s attorneys must prove their client’s right to a fair trial is put in jeopardy by the public being allowed in the courtroom. This will not be an easy thing to do. “They have a high burden of proof because the rule in Canada is open court,” Slimovitch said.
On top of first-degree murder, Magnotta is also charged with committing an indignity to a body, publishing obscene material, criminally harassing PM Stephen Harper and other members of Parliament, and mailing obscene and indecent material. Magnotta previously pleaded not guilty to all of the above charges and chose trial by judge and jury.
For the full article from The Vancouver Sun: